Sarah H. Brayton became a professor of materia medica and therapeutics at the Medical College for Women in New York City in 1876. In 1883, she went into private practice and moved to Evanston. She was affiliated with the Illinois State Medical Society, the Chicago Medical Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the American Public Health Association. In 1891 she was appointed a delegate by the Auxiliary Congress of the World’s Columbian Exposition, and to the Seventh International Congress of Hygiene and Demography, held in London, England. In 1893 she was elected Chairman of the Woman’s Committee of the International Congress of Public Health, held in conjunction with the Columbian Exposition.
Brayton was prominent in securing erection of the Evanston hospital building. In her later years, in additon to her large practice, Dr. Brayton had devoted time to establishment of a convalescent home for women and children of Evanston. She was a member and secretary of the Evanston Hospital Staff. She was among the physicians on staff when the hospital opened for service, March 27, 1893 (at the time known as the Evanston Emergency Hospital). Dr. Brayton served on the Buildings and Grounds Committee that located a more adequate and larger location for a hospital building. Dr. Brayton “Procured proper furnishing of the building without cost to the association.”