Ran thrift house, dental dispensary, premature babies’ milk bank, helped open the Dawes House, hosted radio shows for children (“Books Bring Adventure” and “Midwest At Work”), helped with children’s hearing and Aphasia Clinic at NU, puppet project, battered women’s shelter
Founded as the Junior Aid Society in 1923, the Evanston Junior League at first focused on providing trained volunteers for local hospitals and health care organizations, including the Red Cross. In 1931, the League established a dental clinic to treat low-income children and youth, and in 1953 the League established the Premature Babies’ Milk Bank at Evanston Hospital. The League acquired the Thrift House in 1940, serving a dual need of providing the community with low-cost clothing and household goods, and raising funds that could be used to support their charitable efforts. In 1960, the League moved its offices to the Dawes House and helped to raise funds to restore the home and support the work of the museum. In 1983 they began raising funds for the YWCA to support the Y’s battered women’s shelter. In recent years, the Evanston league merged to become the Junior League of Evanston-North Shore.
The Junior League established several helpful and neccessary organizations in Evanston. Their members devoted time and money to help improve Evanston and the lives of people in Evanston. The Junior League membership is made up of women. The women themselves developed and planned projects that helped members of the community since 1918; further, they have been committed to the YWCA’s battered women’s shelter, which helps women and children who are victims of abuse.