The McGaw YMCA first began offering services for women and girls in 1930. In 1942 a female staff member was added to expand the program, including offering social clubs for grade school and high school girls. The Plantation Room was opened in 1944 as a youth social center and girls were included on the youth board, and in 1947, Camp Echo, the YMCA’s summer camp, was opened to girls. In the 1950s programs expanded with the Hi(gh School) Y clubs being a popular gathering place and leadership training program for young women. The Children’s Center was expanded in 1995 to provide low-cost, quality childcare for working families. By 2001, more than half of the members of the McGaw Y were women.
Notes: Website: http://www.mcgawymca.org/